corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » UK networks iPhone speed test

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author UK networks iPhone speed test
Robbo

User status: Offline
20th Jan 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/01/19/straight-comparison-of-network-download-speed-with-iphones-in-the-uk.html

Might be a repost but hey-ho!
mwg

20th Jan 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew before I clicked on it that voda would win or you wouldn't of posted it
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fairness, doesnt just win... it mullers O2 and Orange
Tommy L

20th Jan 10 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think it was faster compared to my mates Orange iphone
Nismo

20th Jan 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Voda is very fast, however do you think it might be because the amount of users they have using 3G is less than O2?

think of the amount of O2 users out there with iPhones thats jamming the network, if Voda had as many iphone users out there would it be the same speed?
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, not thought of it but yeah its a potential point! Orange should be more concerned as thye have a much larger footrint than us on 3G (93% vs 81% IIRC)
Rob_Quads

20th Jan 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very interesting to see the O2 phone was on Edge not 3G and the Orange phone was on Wifi when the test started i.e. it was a far from fair.

It would be very easy to produce a similar report which showed tierh o2 or Orange winning.
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, was kind of the point... do a test and see what happenes, if one of the networks can only get onto EDGE then it says somethign about their 3G network...
noshua

20th Jan 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you offer a SIM only deal for iPhone users, like o2 do? I.e. 'unlimited' internet, 'unlimited' wifi and visual voicemail - along with minutes and texts?
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pass mate, have a look on the website... i dont work for Vodafone UK so not sure of the ins and outs
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked, no SIM only plans or PAYG as yet
Dom

20th Jan 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Not really, was kind of the point... do a test and see what happenes, if one of the networks can only get onto EDGE then it says somethign about their 3G network...

I'm confused to what you think this test proves? All it shows is the testers wifi is crap and likewise with O2's EDGE. It doesn't prove anything else! It's complete bollocks

And going by your logic, if i did a test here Voda would loose straight away as i can't even get a Voda signal and O2 would obviously win So O2 is better then?
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but the point is it was an impartial test done in central london where all 3 shoudl theoretically be the same... obviosuly throughout the country there will be quirks etc but this test is suppsoed to have been a fiarly standard one
Dom

20th Jan 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
yes but the point is it was an impartial test done in central london where all 3 shoudl theoretically be the same... obviosuly throughout the country there will be quirks etc but this test is suppsoed to have been a fiarly standard one

In which case it's incorrectly titled - it should be, which phone gets a signal in London test. If it was about speed then it would be a fair test from the start - ie: all phones have a 3G signal. Don't get me wrong, it would be interesting to see the results, but it needs to be done properly....
Robbo

20th Jan 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think youre missing the point though... the result exposes one of the companies lack of 3G... ok its not indicative of the whole country but most iphone users are based in london hence the location chosen (from what i understand)

and its a simple straw poll effectively
Bart

20th Jan 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats interesting is that o2 and vodaphone are using the same 3g hardware in a joint venture
John

20th Jan 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that the same joint venture that amounted to sharing a couple of aircon units or a new one?
James_DT

20th Jan 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They share the infrastructure, not the "clever stuff behind it".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/01/the_3g_traffic_jam_where_next.html
Andrew

20th Jan 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been with 02 for about 5 years. Sacked it off for 6 months as i had a work phone i could use for personal use.

Reception is crap compared with 02!! I was regularly being cut off when on the motorway.

I have two iPhones, one is my work one and the other personal. Both on 02 I mainly use the phone to phone and text and would rather have something that works than a quick internet connection in all fairness.

My daily commute means i'll use my phone a lot using hands free to call friends and family. I'm also onsite and sometimes not seen in the office for weeks at a time. People need to be able to get hold of me and hear me.
ed

21st Jan 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is quite possibly the least scientific test I have ever seen in my life. The data from it means nothing.

New Poll