corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » supercharger info and help, any experienced engine conversion guys etc please : )

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author supercharger info and help, any experienced engine conversion guys etc please : )
danbo

User status: Offline
17th Mar 11 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking about a supercharged 1600 engine for a corsa b just wondering if anyone with a lot of engine conversion experience etc has any helpful info on this, I know it has been done before but haven’t found much info to help.
Also just wondering if anything on this spec below would need changing? For compression or any differences needed for the engine to work with a supercharger.
C16XE/X16XE race engine.
1600 (1639cc)
• Bore 80.00mm
• Compression 12:1
• Ported head (Inlet & exhaust)
• SBD Exhaust camshaft 278 degrees, 11.0mm lift (CM16V1.6-H278)
• SBD Inlet camshaft 284 degrees, 11.4mm lift (CM16V1.6-H284)
• SBD Steel valve caps (LC-4K-S)
• SBD INA lightweight cam followers (CMFL-1)
• SBD Kent single valve springs (VLS-06K)
• SBD Kent lightweight vernier pulleys (CMVP-5)
• Cometic laminated high performance head gasket (GSK16-1.3MM-82)
• Lightened and skimmed block
• SBD Omega forged 80.0mm pistons (PIST-OM80.00XS) with Omega rings
• SBD Engineering 129mm steel crank rods (ROD-129S)
• ACL Heavy duty main and big-end bearings
• SDB Heavy duty main cap bolts
• SBD Upgraded big and small steel timing belt idlers
• Polished and balanced crank
• Oil pump with modified relief valve
• Supplied with a set of Bosch cream injectors (744’s)
Will be using a manzel inlet manifold
Thanks
philip2

17th Mar 11 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that an engine you have now or a spec of an engine forsale? just it would be a shame to strip that motor. chargers iirc can run more compression that a turbo, but id prefer to see 10:1comp max, maybe lower if possible:S

may also find the cams are too aggressive and have too much overlap for a charger, but would probably make more power top end than mid range with those cams.
danbo

17th Mar 11 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi yer its a spec i may be buying but if would need to change a whole lot of it might be better to not buy that specific one and start from scratch or a lower spec if i can find one. Alot of money though. cheers for the info about chargers,
AlexW

17th Mar 11 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supercharging has the issue of space, Limited area for a charger, and harder to limit the boost vs a turbo.

I presume your doing the typical of looking at mini superchargers, They aren't that good lol.

Also, you would deffo have to lower the compression on that engine, 12.1 is high for a NA engine, Your need to lower it to about 8.5/9.0

[Edited on 17-03-2011 by AW06]
danbo

17th Mar 11 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer and the one the other car used was a rotrex one i think but to suit a different car originally. said it was 170bhp 144torque with mantzel and rotrex.

[Edited on 17-03-2011 by danbo]
philip2

17th Mar 11 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id get the above engine and put it on bodies or carbs less hassle, sounds awesome and prob have somewhere around 190+bhp

the only thing i see a problem with on that spec now are the single springs and hydraulics with that amount of valve lift. id be wanting to see solids with that amount of lift and double springs
danbo

17th Mar 11 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much do you reckon would cost to get one built to that spec but using solids and double springs like you said?
philip2

17th Mar 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on carbs or throttle bodies? as that engine is restricted loads by the mantzel.

if you tel me a budget...ill tel you what you'll get for the money as ive just rebuilt my c16xe virtually the same but slightly milder inlet cam...only 11mm and stuck to hydraulics for now, but ive got race double springs. reckon thats cost nearly 3k without the ex manifold and system
danbo

17th Mar 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the guy said it cost around 4 and half to 5 grand head ported cos its x16xe so small ports made them larger and stuff so similar to c16xe so i'd have to get that done then the rest looks like just stronger internal parts, some cams, then a manifold and exhaust

I wanted to just stick with a mantzel really and get the best power out of it that it would let you maybe 160bhp on that spec? but then i saw this and thought it would save alot of money over building from scratch so was unsure. seems a waste to use a manzel on it but i just wanted a strong reliable engine really using a mantzel but still pushing out good enough power. i could save if i did it over time. so for 5 grand like he said would i have a spec like that or what can i get cheaper?
danbo

17th Mar 11 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will probably want throttle bodies one day but i quite like the mantzel and just wondered what i could get out of it using one. my main aim is reliabilty
philip2

17th Mar 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could build or supply all the parts to build a reliable engine, just means until you get tbs you wont be running the full potential thats all matey. just depends how much you want to spend on a longmotor (sump up to rocker cover)

and i could definately build it cheaper than that matey, sbd are rip off merchants. like with the cams...from sbd..£550 or so as their actually kent ground. i can do newman for £330 a pair. rods they charge maybe 5-600, i can supply steel rods with bolts for about £270. pistons save you about £50 a set. headwork, shimming etc i could also do alot cheaper.....joys of not being a big name company trying to rip people off

[Edited on 17-03-2011 by philip2]

New Poll