corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear wheel bearing exploded, replace stub axle

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear wheel bearing exploded, replace stub axle
Robby_W

User status: Offline
6th Oct 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other day while driving home the drivers side rear wheel bearing went on my corsa, luckily I was literally 2 minutes from my house so got it home but after taking the drum off the bearing has completely exploded and caused the bearing housing to melt to the stub axle meaning the stub axle needs to changed as well now.

What I want to know is when replacing the wheel bearing and stub axle should I replace both sides or just the damaged side? I'm inclined to do both just for piece of mind.

Also the drums and brake shoes are in good condition so I'm assuming these don't need to be relplaced?

Cheers
bigron1988

6th Oct 11 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prob worth changing the other one incase the same happens down the road, also just clean up the drums and shoes with brake/clutch cleaner and will be ok
Generation

6th Oct 11 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd also do other one. Sane thing happened to me on way backfrom pvs was pissing down so just drove the next hour limped it home. Stub axle bearins and brand ew drums
Both sides.

tom130691
Premium Member

7th Oct 11 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 stub axle
2 rear bearings

drum will be fine mine was as it stayed in the wheel
corsadonk
Premium Member

7th Oct 11 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check that the other side is ok, if it doesn't make any noise leave it. But make the nut isn't too tight, you should be able to move it a bit with a screwdriver.

Same happened to me at 120 shit me pants.
alan-g-w

8th Oct 11 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
1 stub axle
2 rear bearings

drum will be fine mine was as it stayed in the wheel

x2, just fit a new bearing to the unaffected side.
Robby_W

8th Oct 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for all the replies and all the help guys

New Poll