corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B 1.0 Headgasket failing?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B 1.0 Headgasket failing?
IainL

User status: Offline
21st Jan 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa has the wonderful X10XE fitted, 79k under its belt.

I looked at the headertank as I always do every week when I also check the oil, and I thought the coolant level had dropped a little. I'm not sure if its because my wife has started parking it on the other side of the drive which is level.

Anyhow, I immediately took off the oil filler cap to check for mayo and there was, I'd say, a lot. A lot more than the small amout of milkiness that sometimes appears on the underside of my Coupe's filler cap due to low usage.

I looked inside the rocker cover and there is a film of it on the inside, although the cams look clean.

My wife always checks the temperature guage and its stayed put where it should when driving and the heaters are working fine.

I phoned the garage and have booked it in for them to assess it. The chap I spoke to was familiar with this engine and said that all in, including the chain and tensioner kit, it might come to about £650. We talked about a replacement engine and that seemed an option.

From the description, is it likely the engine has suffered head gasket failure and secondly, how much would a replacement engine of the same type cost me to buy? If there is any other engine I could use that is cheap to buy without having to upgrade brakes etc then I would be interested in that too.

Please no replies about XE's and the like, I am totally broke just now and am looking for a practical, budget solution to this. The car is too good to scrap.
johnhara1

21st Jan 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be something as simple as a blocked breather pipe causing the mayo. These engines tend to get this problem alot, i know of a few caked with mayo and still going strong a year later without any hg issues.

If the car is not loosing water and it's not down on power i would do an oil flush, check the breather pipes are clean and clear, top the coolant up and drive it.

IainL

21st Jan 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, sounds like a good (and cheaper) place to start with!

Did happen very suddenly right enough.
corsajay88

21st Jan 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine although a 1.4 has very similar symptons, 7000 miles on and no change better or worse, Ive just kept a close eye one mine and it seems to be ok.

New Poll