corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How to get into a MK4 golf Bonnet? HELP

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to get into a MK4 golf Bonnet? HELP
richc

User status: Offline
30th Nov 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Gents.....

Abit of a problem. My bonnet catch snapped on my golf (interior handle) about 6 months ago but I have used pilars on the ball of the cable and pulled on it like that and it has been fine untill last week.

I cant seem to get my hand behind the raditor and push it that way so im pretty stuck. I saw a video of a Passat where a guy put a bent bar through a hole near the grill and forced it that way. Can the same be done for the golf? I will check on my dinner hour, but I just wanted some tips from you lot?

Thanks.

[Edited on 30-11-2012 by richc]
Christopher

30th Nov 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know anyone with skinny arms?
Ben G

30th Nov 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad broke a mk5/6 golf grille to get the bonnet open, then glued the grille back together.
richc

30th Nov 12 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have not got big arms just big hands so I get stuck.

At the minute Im going to smash the grill off.

Does anyone who work for VW or any of the breakdown companies know of any tricks? Its pissing me off as I need to change the oil and top up the screenwash
pow
Premium Member

1st Dec 12 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta be smash the grill isn't it
Mertin

1st Dec 12 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem a few months ago. I tried to get my hand up the back, no luck. Screwdriver through the grill, no luck.
Decided to bite the bullet and try and rip the grill to bits, didnt really work and only half came off.

In the end I forced my hand up from underneath and did t remove it till I eventually got hold of the catch. This was on an R32 so id presume they would have the least amount of room. Good luck!
Phil W

2nd Dec 12 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to go from underneath, it's a PITA and will take you ages. You need to position your hand behind the catch and feel for the latch, then try and flick it towards the battery tray.
richc

2nd Dec 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
I had this problem a few months ago. I tried to get my hand up the back, no luck. Screwdriver through the grill, no luck.
Decided to bite the bullet and try and rip the grill to bits, didnt really work and only half came off.

In the end I forced my hand up from underneath and did t remove it till I eventually got hold of the catch. This was on an R32 so id presume they would have the least amount of room. Good luck!

Did the very same thing - So i pretty much smashed me grill to bits for nothing
Mertin

2nd Dec 12 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only good thing was that it relieved some stress when I was ripping the grill to bits as I was close to losing it with the thing
richc

2nd Dec 12 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only good thing was that it relieved some stress when I was ripping the grill to bits as I was close to losing it with the thing

Ditto. I just wanted to smash it into the garage wall. So pissed off that I couldnt get it from under the car, so I ripped the grill off, still couldnt get it so I had one more go at the under car trick and did it first attempt

I sat in the car for about 30 minutes in a mard!
Mertin

2nd Dec 12 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing that annoyed me most was I had just had timing chain, clutch and flywheel replaced and this was the morning after so just wanted to check all fluids before driving it as I knew water would need topped up. Luckily I had access to a pit to get underneath, would hate to do it on the ground
richc

3rd Dec 12 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thing that annoyed me most was I had just had timing chain, clutch and flywheel replaced and this was the morning after so just wanted to check all fluids before driving it as I knew water would need topped up. Luckily I had access to a pit to get underneath, would hate to do it on the ground

Jesus. I bet that wasn't cheap!!! Mine was a similar situation, and I had only had the bonnet open a few days previous to check fluids also.

I just put it as high as I could on the axle stands and its wasnt too bad. I didn't realise how dark it is underneath despite being in complete daylight. I downloaded a torch App on my S3 which worked a treat

New Poll