corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Terrible handling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Terrible handling
GreenyUK

User status: Offline
14th Sep 13 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right hey guys.
I have a problem that when it rains and I'm turning right like going around a round a bout at 25mph the rear breaks away and the car slides quite strongly. This doesn't happen every corner but a lot of time, mostly round a bouts. The rear interior has been removed. The tyres have lots of tread. It has a front strut brace.
I can't for the life of me figure out why this happening but as you can imagine its not fun in the wet I have to very conscious and drive 15-20 mpg when on round a bouts annoying every other road user.

It does not happen turning left I've tried hard to get it to break away but it doesn't at all just under steers.
I forgot to say it happens under normally driving so I'm not racing or anything like that just normal and slow driving.

It just makes no sense!!??
corsadonk
Premium Member

14th Sep 13 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be something like you bottom ball joints are knacked. It might be worth taking it in to do the tracking, if it's a decent garage, they will pick up any problems.
Jamie-C

14th Sep 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any corsa ive driven the back end always snapped in the wet even at low speeds, I thought they all done this
Dave_Sport

14th Sep 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are ya rear shocks like? are both back wheels pointing correctly the right way - no adverse camber or track? have you got hong kong skid alongs (budget) tyres on the back
gary2097

14th Sep 13 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you on standard suspension?
vauxhallMADlee

15th Sep 13 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a couple things mate, could be down to cheap tyres, low tyre pressure, if it's lowered check to see if you have aa rear proportion valve, if it has one this needs to be adjusted to how low the car is, there's a spring that has to have very slight tension on it when car sits level on floor, also is the brake pedal start braking right from the top or does it have some travel? If the rear brakes have been adjusted at the wheels too tight then the back will lock u very easy when braking, so if there's no travel in the pedal notch the handbrake adjustment down a coupl clicks and re try it, and then may be get wheel alignment as there could be something bent on the back, don't get me wrong corsa's do jump out on the back if you throw it into bends on the brakes but you shouldn't be getting any problems at 25mph, there's gotta be something wrong there pal. Iv don't 125 through long sweeping bends and it held like a go kart in my old corsa lol it stepped out once round tight bend at lowish speed an that was because soon as I bought it I found someone put cut springs in the back! Which definatley causes same problem so check you have decent suspension set up on the back, hop this helps
RCorsa

15th Sep 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it do it under braking? If not then it isn't your rear proportioning valve.

Are both the rear tyres the same make?

If it only does it when turning right then the rear left is suspect. Jack it up, grab the wheel and move it up and down and from side to side, see if there is any play. You could possibly be losing rear toe-in which could be due to something worn badly.

When did it start to do this?
GreenyUK

15th Sep 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all thanks for the replys.
Corsasonk. Both front ball joints and track rod ends are new and tracking has been done so that should be ok.

Jamie c lol maybe it is a corsa thing lol

Dave will have to check the shocks matey. Other than that there are no camber issues etc. will have to check on the tyre make too they could be hong kongs lol.

Gary yes all standard for now.

Vauxhallmadlee as said not lowered so shouldn't have a problem with the proportion valve there are no other problem while braking that I've noticed

Rcorsa no mate not under braking.
As said will have to check the tyre makes
Ah right ok cool when we get a dry day and I get time lol ill have a look over the rear left well both as its up and check for worn bushes etc

Thank you all for the replys
Edges 58

16th Sep 13 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be right hand rear shock worn. Plus cheapo tyres probably. Front shocks could also be affecting this if they are worn or leaky. 4 new shocks and some decent rubber (won't cost much on a corsa)
RCorsa

17th Sep 13 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt it's the right rear shocker, it only does it when he turns right, which puts all the weight of the car on the left. Does sound as though a cheap tyre could be at fault but if they are the same either side then it must something with severe wear (would have thought hard banging/knocking on the back end if that is the case though)
Edges 58

17th Sep 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah and when the weight of the car goes to the left it presses the left tyre down (traction) and relys on the shock to push the right rear into the floor. If that makes sense?
GreenyUK

17th Sep 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok well it could be the tyres, they are Kinforest KF660 lmao although they look like eagle f1s haha.
So will get 4 new shoes in the next month or so.
Something like Pravda matpybe?
RCorsa

17th Sep 13 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
Yeah and when the weight of the car goes to the left it presses the left tyre down (traction) and relys on the shock to push the right rear into the floor. If that makes sense?

I see what you're saying, however the right rear is pretty much a passenger when turning right. All the weight bearing goes onto the left rear, as the weight is on the left rear it's at that corner (most likely) that is causing the problem. I just know he'll come back and say that the right rear shocker is knackered now and I'm totally wrong
RCorsa

17th Sep 13 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GreenyUK
Ok well it could be the tyres, they are Kinforest KF660 lmao although they look like eagle f1s haha.
So will get 4 new shoes in the next month or so.
Something like Pravda matpybe?

Just jack it up and give the wheel a firm tug in all directions, costs you nothing and it could save you buying tyres you don't need.
Edges 58

17th Sep 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone you know have similar wheels with good tyres? Borrow and try could be a good idea!

See what you mean RCorsa, lets just say both rear shocks are goosed haha
GreenyUK

17th Sep 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah ill defo jack it up and have a chuffed around see whats what but won't be till the weekend as I'm working to much at the mo and have no time.
Cheers guys
RCorsa

18th Sep 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put it on a axle stand or block before you start yanking the wheel around, you'll pull it off the standard jack

New Poll