corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Random Misfire on x16xe

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Random Misfire on x16xe
kristof1989

User status: Offline
13th Jan 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, i have a corsa sport 1.6 16v and its all of a sudden started to sound like is missing slightly. The water pump went, so i changed it the day after it went, the temp got to 100 and hovered around that but never went totaly into the red. I done the water pump sat... and yesterday tues, i jumped in my car after work after letting it tick over for 5 mins to warm up and after about 10 mins worth of driving i took it to high revs and it really didnt sound right.... and since then the engine sounds really lumpy as if its missing slightly.... kinda subaru sound but not to bad....

i changed the cam belt at the same time, but in all fairness i did the tensioner up tight... but not as tight as i could of as i didnt want to snap the bolt or anything... could the timing be slightly out causing this??

Any suggestions......
6580gareth

13th Jan 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

head gasket gone??
kristof1989

13th Jan 10 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i only done it about 4 months ago... any ways of telling?? theres a tiny bit of cream on the oil cap, but i put that down to the cold weather atm
6580gareth

13th Jan 10 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

temperature normal?
kristof1989

13th Jan 10 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes temp stays well below 100 now... it struggles to get to 90 whilst driving... looks like it hasnt moved to be honest... when i sit still it takes around 10-15 mins befor it reaches the temp for the fan to kick in
kristof1989

13th Jan 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could it be coil pack..... read a few related posts, and they all have the same probs, and goes down to coil pack.
jamesy1990

14th Jan 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a similar problem about a month ago with my x16xe i tried everything , new lamba sensor , crank sensor , egr valve , turned out it was the cam sensor wireing behind the inlet it had been chaffin off somthing and broke they the coating and the wires were all touching , so i cut them back and soldered them back up and bit of tape round them never had any trouble since , hope that helps mate
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i give that ago mate as i have a spare one and i did actually take it off just befor it went tits up to make sure the belt was ok... i drove car for 20 mins it was fine, then drove it again and thats when the problem arrived.
shauny bizzle

14th Jan 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how new is the cat on it? coulld it not be the cat breaking down going through the exhaust or even being blocked? or have u sorted it mate, ive got my cam sensor here if ya wanna try it if u decide u want rid of coilys i got a c16xe so could try some bits out as its all apart atm lol so could give ya a hand mate

[Edited on 14-01-2010 by shauny bizzle]
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a de-cat pipe mate, im going to try a spare cam sensor i have at work as i brought an mot failure 1.6 16v n ripped the engine out with everything on it for an occassion like this... will try tomoro and let you know
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just changed cam sensor and still got the fault... the cam belt felt a bit loose in between the top pulleys so i think its not timed up 100% or it might of jumped a tooth so will redo the cambelt and the tensioner tomoro if i get a chance.
shauny bizzle

14th Jan 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ummm hopefully no damage to the engine mate if its just one tooth, try taking a look at the Crank pulley and sensor mate, i believe cam and crank run of the same signal
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know its a piss take tbh... if its not one thing its another lol.... never mind perservierance will be the winner
bigjim172000

14th Jan 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kristof1989
could it be coil pack..... read a few related posts, and they all have the same probs, and goes down to coil pack.

Id put my money on that
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive changed the cam sensor the coil pack the leads and the plugs today.... still got the same issue... i pushed the belt in the middle of the top pulleys and there is a fair bit of slack in it.... the pulley nearest the rad actually moves in a anti clockwise movement slightly if i push it hard enough... but not alot of force needed... could the belt be to loose causing it not to be timed up correctly causing the missfire?
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or even jumped a tooth?
bigjim172000

14th Jan 10 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesnt sound right, when you did the water pump, did you line it up with the pin and hole in block? Could be the cause of why you cant tighten the belt enough.
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you line it up?? its limited sight down the side the i did it by eye and what it looked like in the haynes manual..... it does make a slight tapping sound to be honest, and i know it needs slight adjustment.... how do i line it up right? Thanks
bigjim172000

14th Jan 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there either a hole in the pump which you put a pin in which will find a hole in the block, OR there will be a mark on the waterpump edge and one on the block, line the 2 up.

Also, check the adjuster is fitted properly, on mine there is a little peg which i didnt get in the right place on the block and that gave me a slack belt, corrected it and then was tight,
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a hole in my water pump, i just thought it was like a breather hole or something.... i give it a go sunday as im at work tomoro... do you think its all related?
bigjim172000

14th Jan 10 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea, i had a missfire and engine was running lean on my GSi, 1.6 16v, no fault codes, changed sensors etc, fuel filter. Was coil pack in the end.
kristof1989

14th Jan 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play mate... i will use i thin punch and put it in the whole and see if it locks in place with the block anywhere... if not i just try use a mirro and line it up like it looks in the manual. Thanks for all your help
kristof1989

15th Jan 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem solved..... the plastic pipe that goes from the air box to the inlet was split
shauny bizzle

15th Jan 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol glad ya got it solved matey
kristof1989

15th Jan 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer me to..... something nice and easy to nothing to involved.... the cam belt was fine... i took it to vauxhall and they were like its perfectly fine :L......Car now up for sale on for sale page

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll