corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LED TV

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LED TV
XSIHardy

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 10 at 05:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning,

looking into buying a new LED TV after crimbo , just wanted to know has any one got one ?

and is the picture quality all that good?

looking to spend MAX ! 700 if needed 800 but thats ultra stretch

any one got any recommendations ?

cheers sam
deano87

23rd Nov 10 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently bought a new TV and when looking round the shops I was really impressed with the LED stuff. Excelleng quality close up compared to LCD. They're super thin too.

Pretty useless informatiin as I have nothing else to say
John

23rd Nov 10 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LED uses LCD still, just uses LED's for back lighting instead of CFL's.
BarnshaW

23rd Nov 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also be wary of FULL LED units and LED units, the later units dont have FULL led's behind the screen it is only on the border/outside of the screen.
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an LG 37LE5300 and it's the shiz. I was in Richer sounds comparing TV's for ages and the colours were just stand out. Couldn't be happier with it tbh.

http://www.reevoo.com/p/lg-37le5300
BarnshaW

23rd Nov 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good TV nath, one of the ones from the range of LG that dont break or have known problems
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats a relief
whitter45

23rd Nov 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sony - Cant beat the pciture quality of the higher end units

I have 2 at the moment
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

23rd Nov 10 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a series 6 LED Samsung, very impressed so far!

Nice bright colours, black blacks, and sound isn't all that bad for standard speakers!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
A2H GO

23rd Nov 10 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is the picture quality on these better than a normal backlit 1080p TV or are you just paying the extra £200-300 because they're thinner?
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contrast ratio's are generally better.
AndyKent

23rd Nov 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really tempted to go for a Samsung LED 40" though the cost is a bit higher than I would have liked.

£500 seems like a sensible price, whereas the LED I saw in John Lewis this weekend was £700. Looked great, but still a lot of cash.
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was £499, but that's 37".
A2H GO

23rd Nov 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

Refresh me, is that the difference between the darkest and lightest capable colour? So generally the colours are more vivid however there are the same number of pixels on the screen?
LeeM

23rd Nov 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my friendsa got a samsung 50 led, with hd input like sky hd or blu ray its incredible ive never seen anytihng that good!
Kurt

23rd Nov 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently bought a Sony Bravia 40" for 500

Was the best looking in the shop at time, even next to an led it looked sharper and crisper

Has a ton of features too, hd freeview receiver built in, BBC iplayer, you tube, 5 on demand, love film and ability to play from a network computer
AndyKent

23rd Nov 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have to look up all the features before I do anything. I saw some TV that you could plug in a USB stick to add recording and transfer to PC too

That said, I do need to buy some new internal doors first
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

Refresh me, is that the difference between the darkest and lightest capable colour? So generally the colours are more vivid however there are the same number of pixels on the screen?

http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/contrastratio.htm
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH that link is pretty negative when it comes to a good contrast ratio, best bet is to view the TV's in the shop. The difference for me was extremely obvious. But then there are other factors. It took me ages to find the right TV

[Edited on 23-11-2010 by Nath]
A2H GO

23rd Nov 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
TBH that link is pretty negative when it comes to a good contrast ratio, best bet is to view the TV's in the shop. The difference for me was extremely obvious. But then there are other factors. It took me ages to find the right TV

[Edited on 23-11-2010 by Nath]

Dont the people who are a bit anal about it say you should never choose a TV based on the picture in the shop due to the flouresent artificial lighting and varying levels of input methods, SD, HD, 1080p making some TVs 'look' better than others, sometimes depending on which ones they need to get rid of.

[Edited on 23-11-2010 by A2H GO]
Nath

23rd Nov 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they do mate. But Richer Sounds seem reliable enough to base those decisions on. The salesman even got me to buy the cheaper, smaller TV as it was better than the slightly bigger LCD equivelant.

I was hunting for ages, but after a while you realise whatever TV you are going to get for £700-800 is going to be good. It's just what features you want most.
John

23rd Nov 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For your average Joe it's probably best to pick the one you like the look of in the shops, that's probably exactly how it will look when it's plugged in and they don't touch anything again.
A2H GO

23rd Nov 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah they do mate. But Richer Sounds seem reliable enough to base those decisions on. The salesman even got me to buy the cheaper, smaller TV as it was better than the slightly bigger LCD equivelant.

I was hunting for ages, but after a while you realise whatever TV you are going to get for £700-800 is going to be good. It's just what features you want most.

Just been looking on the RS website. I'm after a 50", not too bothered what make, LCD/Plasma or whether its got Freeview built in as long as its 1080p. Holding out for the sales in a few weeks though, there £550 on the site now so hopefully come down a bit.
Dom

23rd Nov 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Just been looking on the RS website. I'm after a 50", not too bothered what make, LCD/Plasma or whether its got Freeview built in as long as its 1080p. Holding out for the sales in a few weeks though, there £550 on the site now so hopefully come down a bit.

For 1080p, make sure the native resolution is 1920×1080. A lot of manufactures use panels that conform to CEA standards rather than ATSC the broadcasting standard, so you'll find 720 HD displays with a resolution of 1366x768 (not quite 16:9) rather than the broadcast resolution of 1280×720 (16:9) - which results in the image being upscaled to fit the screen. On smalls screen it generally isn't noticed but it can be noticeable on large screens, depends how good the onboard scalers are.

Also when viewing a TV make sure they aren't running multiple TVs of one source, like a bd player, as it can lower picture quality (have seen this a few times in Comets, Dixons even Richer Sounds). And I’d get them to reset all picture/sound quality controls back to factory standards as it isn't uncommon for shops to pump up brightness, contrast and colours of one screen and lower others to help sales etc.
A2H GO

24th Nov 10 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:

For 1080p, make sure the native resolution is 1920×1080. A lot of manufactures use panels that conform to CEA standards rather than ATSC the broadcasting standard, so you'll find 720 HD displays with a resolution of 1366x768 (not quite 16:9) rather than the broadcast resolution of 1280×720 (16:9) - which results in the image being upscaled to fit the screen. On smalls screen it generally isn't noticed but it can be noticeable on large screens, depends how good the onboard scalers are.

Also when viewing a TV make sure they aren't running multiple TVs of one source, like a bd player, as it can lower picture quality (have seen this a few times in Comets, Dixons even Richer Sounds). And I’d get them to reset all picture/sound quality controls back to factory standards as it isn't uncommon for shops to pump up brightness, contrast and colours of one screen and lower others to help sales etc.

Cheers for this. TBH ill no doubt run the TV by peeps on here before purchasing.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll