corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » corsa 1.0 12v to 1.6 16v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa 1.0 12v to 1.6 16v
eddyrick

User status: Offline
13th Feb 06 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I ve got a mate who is hopefully converting his corsa 1.0 12v to a 1.6 16v. The car has no power steering and we plan to use the f16 gearbox and linkage, radator, header tank and pipes from the donar vehicle. Just wondering if any one whos done the conversion has any tips what to look out for.
Also will the 1 litre exhaust fit or will we need to use the one off the donar vehicle. Am I right in thinking mounts should be the same apart from the front arm to the engine? How will the wiring connect up as im sure the 1 litre ecu is in the bay where as the 1.6s are mounted in the drivers footwell?

Cheers for any advice in advance Rick
eddyrick

14th Feb 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone?
Wrighty

14th Feb 06 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1L exhaust wont fit for sure,theyre only 3 cylinders so it wont fit a 4 cylinder engine
M6RKK

15th Feb 06 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright mate i just done this conversion yesterday and its a bitch.

getting the engine and linkage is easy....but its the electrics that are a bitch had to get a mate to do it. had to get the ecu from donor and mate a new loom to connect it to the engine loom.

the exhaust is diffrent as i had to cut of the flange with the 2 spring bolts off the donor and weld onto the existing exhaust.

hope this helps

PM if u need more help.
g-man

15th Mar 06 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 1.0 to 1.6 is as simple as wood. The mounts are all the same and it's a simple bolt out, bolt in jobby.

Cooling system needs to be completely ripped out and replaced with GSi coolant plumbing. You will notice a metal pipe that runs on the offside (drivers) which used to do cooling for the old 1.0 This is now defunct and no longer needed.

Wiring is OK providing you have access to wiring diagrams for both the GSi and 1.0. The ECU for the 1.0 is bolted to the back of the engine and there is a large multiplug that runs from the car to the engine. This has the wiring for the starter, speedo, oil pressure, alternator D+ (charge warning) etc. Ensure that you have the complete loom from the GSi as this will be needed as you will need to hard wire in your own starter, oil pressure, alternator, tacho (if fitting) etc.

If the GSi engine is an Ecotec (X16XE) then you'll need the keys that came with the car, and the ignition barrell as the ECU has a built in immobiliser. If it's the pre-Ecotec (C16XE) then your existing key and barrell can be used. Be sure to install a Cat 1 though or you'll find that your Corsa can vanish with relative ease!

No doubt you're uprating the brakes...if so, the discs and calipers from the GSi are recommended as a minimum. The master cylinder and servo do not need to be changed.

Suspension is pretty much essential as you'll find people commenting on how good you are at pulling wheelies when you accelerate (not what you want, loose traction pretty easy!)

The GSi speedo is cable operated, as opposed to electronic with the 1.0. You'll need to run the speedo cable to the back of a set of replacement cable operated dials. There is no VSS on the GSi box.

Linkage is a doddle, ensure gearbox is in neutral (pull out little white plug to the right of the linkage going into the box and stick in a thin drill bit) and pull the gaiter off the gearstick in the cabin and place a drill bit in the white doofer to hold it to the left in neutral. Ensure the selector rod is into the linkage and that everything hasn't budged then tighten the bolt on the linkage.

Make sure the gearbox has oil (fling in a litre or so of new stuff) as all the oil will have been lost when it was removed before.

Exhaust will need to be fabricated from the downpipe roughly to the A pillar in the pipework. If you're handy with a MIG and an angle grinder then this shouldn't be too much of a ballache.

The little box to type this in is soooo small I cannot be arsed reading over everything I typed, but I reckon I've covered the majority of it.

M6RKK, the conversion's not as hard as you'd make it out to be...did you have a different experience from me? ;o)

[Edited on 15-03-2006 by g-man]
eddyrick

6th Apr 06 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the comments lads

New Poll