corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa C 1.2 - 04 Plate - Cambelt? or Timing Chain?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C 1.2 - 04 Plate - Cambelt? or Timing Chain?
_Allan_

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 08 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above does the Corsa C 1.2 have a timing chain only or a cambelt?.
What is required for a 4th year service as one Vauxhall garage is saying a cambelt change at 4 years or 40,000 miles and another is saying it only has a timing chain. I don't know what the difference is between the two but I'm sure if it hasn't got one then I shouldn't be told it has. They quoted £220 for a cambelt change. To be fair it could have been the dizzy girl on the service desk but I didn't know either way.

[Edited on 03-03-2008 by _Allan_]
_Allan_

3rd Mar 08 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nevermind she has just called back lol. Doesn't have a cambelt.
Ellis

chain iirc
_Allan_

Anyone care to enlighten me what a cambelt is compared to timing chain?. I know I have a cambelt on the LCR.
Rob H

3rd Mar 08 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cam belt is a rubber toothed belt that sits outside the engine case, but is covered by plastic sheilds usually. Over time the belts weaken/harden/perish, hence require replacement.

Cam chain is a chain inside the engine that usually lasts the life of the car without needing to be messed with.
_Allan_

3rd Mar 08 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Neep and Rob

New Poll