corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ive broken the RAM holders on my laptop :|

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ive broken the RAM holders on my laptop :|
dannymccann

User status: Offline
18th Dec 08 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took the back off as I spotted the deal for laptop memory on Play and wanted to check how many spaces I had. It turns out I have 2 and both are full. However in pulling the top module upwards the 2 arms that hold it in place literally came out in my fingers - snapped basically. What ive done is shoved the RAM back in place but obv now it wont stick down flat and is being held down by the back cover. The laptop turns back on fine, recognises all 2gb of RAM, no error messages or anything. What Im asking is - is it safe to leave it like this? I only bought the laptop a few months ago, im trying to think of a way to get it done on warranty - even though I probably shouldnt have opened the back up
AlunJ

18th Dec 08 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine that would be covered by warranty as ram these days is a user serviceable part but not 100% on that
dannymccann

18th Dec 08 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill have a quick browse of the Acer site as I cant be arsed atm to pull out all my documents, plus I need the laptop for the next few weeks to get my assignments done for uni - you reckon it will be safe to use for then?
AlunJ

18th Dec 08 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its working I can't see why not, I've got an acer myself, as long as the cover is all plastic (which from memory on mine it is) should be fine being an insulator. Its not ideal obviously though so you want to be careful not to drop it or anything lol
dannymccann

18th Dec 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fine, I dont tend to go around throwing my new laptop around Ill rethink the warranty claim after my assignments are in
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Dec 08 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the memory straining the socket at all by being rested on the cover? I'd be worried about causing further damage to the socket.

Also I know PC Memory can get quite warm, laptop will run at much lower voltage though to prevent this, but be aware of lack of ventilation due to its positioning.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dannymccann

18th Dec 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess so, the fan doesnt really spin up at all ever and I take your point on straining the socket, although this may work in my favour if it suddenly stops working one day, just send it back 'no sir ive never taken the back cover off, all I know is I just press that button and it turns on'
John

18th Dec 08 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's the 2 metal arms that hold the memory in they would come off if you just pull the memory up, you'd have to use quite a bit of force though.

You're supposed to move the arms sideways then pul the memory out at an angle.

A bit of tape will hold it in fine, to replace them there's a 99% chance that it'll have to be a whole motherboard.
dannymccann

18th Dec 08 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I know it would have to a whole motherboard job. As I say it was literally the slightest bit of force I applied to them, didnt even feel them click / snap and they just came out in my fingers My other Acer was fine, ive had it open numerous times, it has large metal seats which flip up and allsorts, this one has shite little arms
pow
Premium Member

18th Dec 08 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Electrical tape them down mofo
dannymccann

18th Dec 08 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres not really a lot of space to do it, plus the tape ive got is well shite, sellotape sticks better than that stuff

New Poll