corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » head skim 15 thou to much ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author head skim 15 thou to much ?
Rob B

User status: Offline
30th Jun 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took it to clockwise motion, they've had the engine out and said the headgasket has gone and the head was bent so they had to skim off 15 thow ? whatever that means in order to flatten it, but the valves are all seating correctly.

The only concern is there is a mark on the bottom end where it's been blowing and the ally has sunk maybe 2 thow max he said. Now would this cause any great problem ? as he seems to be pretty confident that cause it was still sealing well on the other cylinders it should be ok. I'm just a little worried as i do like to go on track now and again and want something i can rely on.

He said its had a new rad at some point so the likely cause is it overheating.

Any input appriciated, i'm a bit stumped as to whether to get rid and buy another, or keep her now.

Rob
Craig P

30th Jun 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15 Thou?

If there's any Majors Marks on the Block then it wont Seal right and you will still have problems.
Try lightly rubbing it with Emery Paper.
Rob B

30th Jun 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he said he's going to whetstone the block ? didn't quite catch what he said fully. but cause its only maybe 1 - 2 thou on the block he said he'll do that, otherwise he'd have to take it all apart and it would double the cost, but he's 95% sure it will be ok.

This is who's doing it, just wanted a second opnion really

www.clockwisemotion.co.uk

what you reckon then? And yeah 15 thou off the head.
WAT 550 N

2nd Jul 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15 thou is 15 thousands of an inch, 1 thou is 0.0254mm
which works out at, .38 of a mm which is alot to get taken off
johnhara1

2nd Jul 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will he give you any warranty on his work?

alan-g-w

2nd Jul 09 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WAT 550 N
15 thou is 15 thousands of an inch, 1 thou is 0.0254mm
which works out at, .38 of a mm which is alot to get taken off

Agreed, I've heard of people using a spacer in between two gaskets as well to compensate. I'd suggest you ask the guy that's doing it though no doubt he's going to know what to do.

New Poll