corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Poor internet speeds

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Poor internet speeds
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jul 12 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently (although thinking about it, its not been right for a long time) been having mega issues with the speed of our internet connection.

We have an upto 8mb non LLU service with Plusnet.

Spoke to their tech support who reckon they are syncing with the exchange at 7.1mb which is syncing with the router at 7.1mb however we are struggling to get over 1-2mb regardless of time of day.

Things that i have tried:
1) Removed 10m phone extension - nothing
2) Tried different cabling - nothing
3) Tried a different router - Speed went from 1.4mb to about 2mb
4) Tried a different socket - nothing
5) Tried a different micro filter - nothing

Plusnet keep suggesting the problem lies with the router and they are sending a new one out (after a lot of bartering as they wanted us to sign up for another 12 months) even though it was explained to them we have tried a new one as well.

My opinion is to jump ship as they dont seem keen to try much their end (although if their system says its ok what can they do) but others dont want to move to see that we have the same issue.

When Plusnet first became the ISP speeds where in the region 3/4mb during the day and would see 7/8mb at night/early hours so i know the line is capable.

Is there anything else we can try to get things moving or things to have checked?

Wrighty

14th Jul 12 at 02:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you far from your exchange mate?

im with them, often find i max out my bandwidth at peak hours when playing ps3 online, but i get their quoted 17mb off peak. their upload is pish however at .5mb which i think is the problem

have you had another provider and did you get faster speeds? have you checked for noise on your line?
Toby
Premium Member

14th Jul 12 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 300m from the exchange. They reckon we should he getting 7/8mb and they say we're syncing at 7.1 but I'm stumped. All used to be good in the hood. I'm pushing to jump ship but there not many ISP's that offer unlimited downloads with no FUP and for the last 4 years they have been in they have been reliable and decent.

I originally though that as they increased used from 40gb limit to unlimited about a year ago and dropped our price by :£7 a month they had throttled us but the guy genuinely believed the problem was our end.
Cavey

14th Jul 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the setup for the router is it showing at 1-2mb or is that downloading something?
If you're on wireless, could be something/someone else using the same channel and interfering?
Toby
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried a new router, wired and wireless with a laptop being the only device connected and the results the same, tried a speed test through two websites.

Used the iPlayer diagnostics and speedster.bt.com which I understand are fairly mote accurate than speedtest. Stumped now of they say all the lines are fine.
andy_mk3

15th Jul 12 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Post up your line stats from the router mate.
Sam
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
... syncing at 7.1mb however we are struggling to get over 1-2mb regardless of time of day.

Just to clarify - are you saying that your router is reporting that you are connected at 1Mb, or are you saying when you download stuff it says in the download box from your browser that it is 1Mb/second?
Rob_Quads

15th Jul 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a look at Sky as an ISP with a decent unlimited package
Russ

16th Jul 12 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you plugged into master socket and are you using a plate?
Gary
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this with plusnet. Engineer checked my line speed at 8mb but I struggled to get over 1mb.

That was with mastee socket and new faceplate.

Ring plusnet and give them some shit, I managed to get a load off my new fibre tinterweb
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is any package truely unlimited? I know mine is "unlimited" but I'm sure there's a fair usage of about 80GB.
noshua

16th Jul 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky, O2 and Talk Talk I believe
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've edited my comment because I'm not assed enough to get into discussion about it, but I'm with TalkTalk and the guy on the phone said there's fair usage limits.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by Brett]
Russ

16th Jul 12 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they'll all have fair useage limits bar the odd one i'd imagine
John

16th Jul 12 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was with talktalk they were truly unlimited but that was 18 months ago now.

Sky are properly unlimited, most I've done in a month is about 300GB.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is your router saying its syncing at 7.1mb?

If so, what does speedtest say the speed is? What time are you doing the speedtest?

Are you connected to your router via wireless? Sometimes wireless can be really shitty and you should be checking the speed while patched physically into the router using a cat5 cable.

Make sure you are plugged into the master socket as already mentioned on here.

Make sure your ISP isn't rate limiting you, though I'm pretty sure if they are it wouldn't rate limit http/https?

I'm with Plusnet (business customer at home) and have no issues at all with the service or customer support. The techs in the call centres seem to know their beans and don't fuck me about which I enjoy.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by willay]
Rob_Quads

16th Jul 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think anything is truely unlimied but Sky have publicly said they have not restricted or ended the service of anyone due to amounts downloaded (and I suspect if they did the person would go public pretty quickly with the way they advertise thier truly unlimited statements)

My tips are remove everything except the master socket and connect your router to it. Only tests wired, not wireless as its unreliable.

Try multiple speedtest sites and also try downloading large files from the likes of Microsoft / Nvidia.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw i saw this today in my email

quote:

Service: Broadband
Posted: Mon, Jul 16 2012 at 16:51:12
Subject: Slow P2P/Usenet and non time-sensitive traffic (72070) - UPDATE

This is an update to this morning's post about the problems some customers may have been experiencing recently with the download speed of non time-sensitive traffic such as peer-to-peer, binary Usenet and content from external FTP sites.

We've established that the problem only affects those connected to the new traffic management switches we've been migrating to over recent weeks.

The problem will have affected the speed of some customers' internet traffic between the hours of Midnight and 10am.

A fix has now been applied to the network which should resolve the problem.

We'll leave this Service Status thread open over night and announce the problem as fully resolved once we're confident the fix has worked.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Take a look at Sky as an ISP with a decent unlimited package

No LLU

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
Post up your line stats from the router mate.

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:19:16

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Connection Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:30:58

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 733.22 / 310.90

Username: ********@plusdsl.net

Password: ********

Remember Password: Yes

IP Address: 87.113.108.77

Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
Originally posted by Toby
... syncing at 7.1mb however we are struggling to get over 1-2mb regardless of time of day.

Just to clarify - are you saying that your router is reporting that you are connected at 1Mb, or are you saying when you download stuff it says in the download box from your browser that it is 1Mb/second?

When we download stuff - the Tech from Plusnet suggested the 7.1mb

quote:
Originally posted by John
Sky are properly unlimited, most I've done in a month is about 300GB.

I have Sky Max (iirc) in my property and they swore blind it had no FUP. Did 150/200gb a couple of times and not a word from them.

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Is your router saying its syncing at 7.1mb?

If so, what does speedtest say the speed is? What time are you doing the speedtest?

Are you connected to your router via wireless? Sometimes wireless can be really shitty and you should be checking the speed while patched physically into the router using a cat5 cable.

Make sure you are plugged into the master socket as already mentioned on here.

Make sure your ISP isn't rate limiting you, though I'm pretty sure if they are it wouldn't rate limit http/https?

I'm with Plusnet (business customer at home) and have no issues at all with the service or customer support. The techs in the call centres seem to know their beans and don't fuck me about which I enjoy.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by willay]

The tech guy said we were synced at 7.1mb but if i access the router the downstream says 8.1 (is that the same thing - not too clued up)

Did 'speedtests' at all times of the day over 36 hours and never went beyond 2.56mb, also the same story with iPlayer Diagnostics and speedtest.bt.com

The speeds were the same over wireless and wired connection with it being the only device attached.

We run it off the master socket with an extension and same results with or without it.

Download speeds via usenet are around 220/250kbps regardless of time of day and are pretty solid which always made me point the figure at plusnet as originally we used to get about 350kbps daytime and 700/800 during the night and its like we hit a wall and they are throttling.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by Toby]
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
btw i saw this today in my email

quote:

Service: Broadband
Posted: Mon, Jul 16 2012 at 16:51:12
Subject: Slow P2P/Usenet and non time-sensitive traffic (72070) - UPDATE

This is an update to this morning's post about the problems some customers may have been experiencing recently with the download speed of non time-sensitive traffic such as peer-to-peer, binary Usenet and content from external FTP sites.

We've established that the problem only affects those connected to the new traffic management switches we've been migrating to over recent weeks.

The problem will have affected the speed of some customers' internet traffic between the hours of Midnight and 10am.

A fix has now been applied to the network which should resolve the problem.

We'll leave this Service Status thread open over night and announce the problem as fully resolved once we're confident the fix has worked.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Cheers but its been slow for a long time, only poor wifi performance has led to me to take a look at how bad it actually has been
evilrob
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[dickhead]Have to tried connecting to your router via ethernet cable? You might live in a very noisy 2.4ghz spectrum area where everyone's got their baby monitors, cordless phones, wireless headphones and wifi routers going all the time.[/dickhead]

edit: Ah - yes you have. Note to self: read the thread, Rob. You dickhead.

[Edited on 16-07-2012 by evilrob]
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, just checked an email from Plusnet basically saying they have carried out a 'few tests' and have managed to 'try a few changes' and they 'should work'. Peak time and im now smashing about 7.5mb connection on multiple testing sites.

Knew the bastards throttled the speed when they reduced the price and increased the download limit.

Still tempted to jump ship due to the cheek of them.

Thanks all for the help
John

16th Jul 12 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get sky LLU? If so move to them.
Toby
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, not here, have a sky llu service in my property 2 miles away but don't have it here on this exchange which is a shame.
Rob_Quads

16th Jul 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky Fibre?

New Poll