corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Registering an engine swap?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Registering an engine swap?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
14th Feb 13 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at a wee Corsa Sport for sale which has a c20xe fitted, but is still registered as a 1.6.

If I buy it would I have to wait until its reregistered before I drive it? I'm thinking this because it will be under an incorrect tax code? I would obviously insure it as a 2.0 straight away.

Is it a lengthy process?

I know a lot of people don't do it, but I like to have everything legit with insurance.

Cheers
eckers90

14th Feb 13 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really a lengthy process, but you do need proff, generally if you know somebody who owns a garage or friend of a friend you have to get a letter from them explaining that the car has been converted to .........
putting in the engine code and cc's etc.
Christopher

14th Feb 13 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Also need to know all the exact details of this?!

[Edited on 14-02-2013 by Christopher]
Ricky352

14th Feb 13 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eckers90
not really a lengthy process, but you do need proff, generally if you know somebody who owns a garage or friend of a friend you have to get a letter from them explaining that the car has been converted to .........
putting in the engine code and cc's etc.

Ah right, didn't realise that, cheers!
scunnylad

14th Feb 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to vauxhall and asked if they can write me a letter of. Paid about £40 they came out. Checked the reg, chassis no and engine no then signed a letter job done, sent that to dvla and within 3 week got log book back
Ricky352

14th Feb 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool. And where you legally allowed to drive the car during this time do you know?
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all ive ever done is get it mot'd, filled in the log book and post it off. correct cc and engine code, date work was completed. you may have to pay more for road tax if the class/group has changed? tell insurance whats been altered, they may request proof as in an engineers report or mot. anything you post i would take a copy of and send recored delivery. so long as the car is taxed, mot'd and insured as it is now your ok to drive it. you can also go into your local dvla office and fill out the forms get new tax on the day.
scunnylad

14th Feb 13 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No as the mot centre still saw it as a 1.2 so wouldn't pass emissions and didn't fancy my chances with the police if they got all technical about it
davegreen
Premium Member

14th Feb 13 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are using an engine that doesnt require a cat, or is in a lower tax group due to its size or age than the body the engine is curently in then you also need proof of what car the engine came from when it was made. log book or a copy of usually is ok. once its all registered you will be ok for future years.
Ricky352

14th Feb 13 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for info folks
scunnylad

15th Feb 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
if you are using an engine that doesnt require a cat, or is in a lower tax group due to its size or age than the body the engine is curently in then you also need proof of what car the engine came from when it was made. log book or a copy of usually is ok. once its all registered you will be ok for future years.

If you dont have the details of.the previous car get the engine code of the engine near where the gearbox mounts to the engine and ask vauxhall if.they can say what it was first registered as they should have records of it
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 05:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

both of mine all ive done is change the engine number and cc's on the v5 and send them off. job done

New Poll