corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear half roll cages?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear half roll cages?
*CorsaCal*

User status: Offline
28th May 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am planning to be doing more track days over the next few months/years in my corsa and so was advised to get a roll cage. The only problem with this is id like to keep the front of the cabin as normal and un-obstructed as possible as it will be used on the road regularly as well and doing 1/4 miles. So i was wondering what peoples opinions on rear half roll cages where?

Are they sufficient to keep you safe in event of a crash or roll? The last thing i want is a show cage because im sure they are more dangerous than no cage! Also has anyone ever fitted one in a sunroof car?

Ive found some basic info (the most helpfull being: http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=612996) but i wondered if anyone had any more recent ideas and any more info/ideas?

I was also planning on going for a weld in cage because i dont like the idea of bolts shearing, is this justified or just paranoid?

Any pictures of ones you have would be helpfull too.

Cheers.

Cal

[Edited on 28-05-2013 by *CorsaCal*]
tom130691
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a bolt in rear im going to use with a sun roof, cant see it being an issue,

personaly rear cages are fine as the hoop is pretty close to the roof above your head, whitch is the part of the car you dont want to buckle, some steel tubular seats are also a benefit
Aidan-Fleming

29th May 13 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't waste your time. Full cage or no cage
Edges 58

29th May 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I were you I'd be looking at 6 point weld in cages. A rear cage with two bits going forward, down the a pillar and into the footwell. It's not much more in the way but it's a lot better from what I've rear
daine
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo Cal, if your using it as a daily then half cage is a better idea. Corsa already has a roll over bar
and side impact protection, your not racing every weekend and the car needs to be practical.
This idea of having a BTCC replica cage is all well and good but there not just there to protect you
in a roll, its to strengthen the car and make more ridged for better road holding.........
think you'll be fine with half.
*CorsaCal*

29th May 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks people for your opinions. Ill have to do some more digging.

New Poll