corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 20 xe corsa, how useable

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 20 xe corsa, how useable
Rileysport

User status: Offline
7th Mar 05 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need more power (again), but the car needs to be a daily driver as well as a weekend loon-machine, what's a 20xe corsa like to use daily, things like mpg, reliablity etc are all issues i need to look at. The lump will be fully rebuilt before it goes in but i dont want to have to squeeze around in the bay attending to things that go wrong as matter of course.

Cheers

Andy
Paula Corsa

7th Mar 05 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has run fine as a daily driver for nearly 2 years now. Had a bit of trouble in the beginning with my fuel pump relay. It's not too bad mpg wise asl ong as you don't boot it everywhere. One thing I would suggest is that you get a decent suspension set up, and try to locate your rad as far under the slam panel as you can. Just to give yourself a bit of extra room.
Rileysport

7th Mar 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, space in the bay was a major concern... looks stuffed enough with a 1.6 in it
Siberia

7th Mar 05 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can insure it do it! i only done a 1.6 cos of insurance problems.... but thats bee fixed now so 2.0 by the end of the year deffo...!!! even thinking LET at this stage... but i dunno if mr insurance will stretch THAT far...

you would think at 28 i'd be able to insure anything but no not were mr irish insurance man is concerned

all you need is some mechanical knowledge for when it breaks

DO IT!!!
Joff

7th Mar 05 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you've ironed out the niggling problems, the car is VERY driveable as a daily drive - that's the main reason I went with the valver rather than playing with the 1.6 16v.

In terms of getting access to faulty parts of the engine, there's more room to work on the C20XE than there is the X16XE

Power isn't excessive, mpg is good once you've had everything set up, the plus points far outweight any negatives.
Rileysport

7th Mar 05 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool... 20 xe it is then (empties piggy bank)
Tom N

7th Mar 05 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say that they are really useable as a daily driver, mainly because of the large torque that it produces.

Mpg isnt that bad as long as you dont thrash it everywhere.

Space isnt a problem, as in comparison to the 1.6 i would say there is actually more space as joff said
Rileysport

7th Mar 05 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.. i dread it if anything goes wrong on the 1.6 ive already chopped my hands to bits putting it in there to start with
mav

7th Mar 05 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only had mine about a month.....
MPG is no bad as ppl say as long as you don't floor it everywhere..
Mine is my daily driver too.

supsensions a bit hard on the koni's / 60mm...

but all in all ok...(so far)
FozzyGSI

7th Mar 05 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had mine about 6 months and its bin fine the majority of the time under daily thrashes. That was until now and ive had enough now
every job seems to be a pain in the arse......after 2 weeks of tinkering i take it out for a test and its still not right
I would highly recommend a full well done rebuild (unlike me) otherwise you will be
corsa120

7th Mar 05 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wicked as daily runner as ive found out last 2 weeks since havin mine back

mpg is bad if thrashing reasonable if sensisble, and the torque is amazing

and like joff said theres more room than a stock x14xe/x16xe so easy to get around and find faults
FozzyGSI

7th Mar 05 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would deffo recommend a 2.0 conversion. Its great seeing the look on peoples faces as they dissapear in the distance behind you, you will beat most cars on the and it is a daily runner go for it
Joff

7th Mar 05 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree with beating most cars... an XE into a Corsa does not make it that quick when compared with a lot of modern cars.
On a rolling start, TDi's are a twat
FozzyGSI

7th Mar 05 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you are right when saying TDI's are twats, theres bin many occasions when i couldnt pull away from them on the motorway at cruising speeds
All i was saying is that everthing ive raced ive beaten (apart from a bentley continental gt and a porsche cararer s).
Joff

7th Mar 05 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't race enough then

I come across way too many top end BMWs and stuff
J100RSA

7th Mar 05 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is a sh!t bag sups fuel like a alcoholic in a pub on free drinks but hey its soooooooooo much fun with the tb'd xe esp when it pisses off fast cars

[Edited on 07-03-2005 by J100RSA]

New Poll