corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MoT places very low cars down south?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MoT places very low cars down south?
danbo

User status: Offline
1st Sep 09 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi went to get MoT done at a place that are usually quite good not being fussy but car is too low to use them,

so does anyone in south of hampshire know a good place that would be able to do it?

will try looking for a performance place as they should be able to deal with lower cars but if anyone can recommend a good place that works carefully etc will be great , cheers
Ant B

1st Sep 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put some different springs in for the mot
danbo

1st Sep 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its on coilovers
?
smcGSI16V

1st Sep 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cwf poulton, in woolston.

My friend Craig owns it and does the mots, very friendly guy.

Look them up and give him a call, see if he can help you out
danbo

1st Sep 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woolston? looked that up its near manchester? im in south of hampshire like i said? bit far lol

Anyone know anywhere down hear?
Minty_Fresh

2nd Sep 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its on coilovers just wind them up, thats the whole idea of coilovers..
DaveyLC

2nd Sep 09 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James Autos near Reading (just south) have got a flush four poster and shallow brake rollers.

Probably a good 40-50 minutes drive from you though.

[Edited on 02-09-2009 by DaveyLC]
danbo

2nd Sep 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks yer quite far if anything wrong and i have to go back there but could try them if i cant find anywhere else,

will need to go up alot and only just got tracking done,

if after i go back to original height would i need to get tracking re done?

cheers, yer thats what i meant lol a flush ramp thing, cheers anyone use any closer?
danbo

2nd Sep 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this the right place by the way? says over hour and a quarter away must be somewhere closer for performance cars/flush ramps. Do you recommend their service?

The Gamblers, Mole Rd, Sindlesham, Wokingham, RG41 (James Autos)

wanting to find somewhere i can use everytime so closer is better,

cheers for all replys
DaveyLC

2nd Sep 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats it.
danbo

2nd Sep 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers
Gareth F

2nd Sep 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in chichester on the coast and use my mates garage for mots. mines lowered 60 front with a cordoba splitter so about 3" clearance at the front. Any pics of your car? and where you from?
smcGSI16V

2nd Sep 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by danbo
woolston? looked that up its near manchester? im in south of hampshire like i said? bit far lol

Anyone know anywhere down hear?

Its in scumhampton.
My fault, I forgot to add that bit.
danbo

3rd Sep 09 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in waterlooville mate, whats the place in chichester sounds much closer? and gsi splitter is probably less than 2 inches from the floor but think ill have to make the car higher cos of the skirts. Last bloke said they have to use the jack things they have for MOT but i thought could just put it on the ramps they use for other work oh well.

and oh southampton would be ok too, ill look them up, cheers mate
danbo

3rd Sep 09 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and if highering the car a large amount then lowering it to where it was will i need tracking re done? or will it be back to where it was cheers
LukeD

3rd Sep 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its my old Corsa by the way guys,

Coilovers are there to adjust at times like these! just change over rear springs to bigger ones and adjust front coils. Tracking will be fine.

I never changed ride height for my MOT's- just found a Garage that could accomadate lowered cars with thier better ramps.
Gareth F

3rd Sep 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you raise the car for the day it goes in then it should be fine aslong as you lower it back down to the same position. Trouble is mate ALL mot centres are failing any car that has a loud exhaust, if its anything louder than standard then it will fail so make sure you get the standard exhaust back on. Ive checked with 7 mot centres around the area and they are all the same! The name of the garage is Tyre Express in bognor regis. My car got mot'd by the manager and failed it on minor things as VOSA have contacted them all about exhaust noise. To be honest just raise it up and take it to a local one to you, stearing will be slightly funny but they dont test for tracking on mots. Some garages have ramps that have arms that swing under the car instead of driving onto, ask about them. hope this helps fella.
smcGSI16V

3rd Sep 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates place in woolston is a proper old scholl place and it uses a pit, the only issue would/might be the brake tester machine.
danbo

3rd Sep 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill juat have to raise it alot and go somewhere local, and if they are failing round here for loud exhausts too then ill need to sort that too, lucky i got one still from 1.4 sport cos i hardly got any money lol and running out of time too, cheers
danbo

3rd Sep 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what part of exhaust would i need to change to standard the middle part and back box or just part of it?
cheers
danbo

3rd Sep 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and would standard rear springs be ok with the fk shocks or are the shocks too shorts for this? trying to use what ive got as i dont have much cash, cheers
danbo

4th Sep 09 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what part of exhaust would i need to change to standard the middle part and back box or just part of it?

and would standard rear springs be ok with the fk shocks or are the shocks too shorts for this? trying to use what ive got as i dont have much cash,
cheers
DaveyLC

4th Sep 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
If you raise the car for the day it goes in then it should be fine aslong as you lower it back down to the same position. Trouble is mate ALL mot centres are failing any car that has a loud exhaust

I think you'll find 'volume' is at the descretion of the tester, either your exhaust is leaking or all of your local MOT centres' dont like the look of you and your car.
Toby
Premium Member

4th Sep 09 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats bollocks. it must be, my boss has just bought a car which came with an after market exhaust as a dealer fitted upgrade from Ford. That would mean then they are selling cars which are not road legal?

[Edited on 04-09-2009 by CorsaB4ever]
Gareth F

4th Sep 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
If you raise the car for the day it goes in then it should be fine aslong as you lower it back down to the same position. Trouble is mate ALL mot centres are failing any car that has a loud exhaust

I think you'll find 'volume' is at the descretion of the tester, either your exhaust is leaking or all of your local MOT centres' dont like the look of you and your car.

My exhaust is not leaking and i have friends in most of the mot centres. To get mine through i had to take the decat out and it sailed through, job done.
Ive had confirmation from a police officer (friend of the family) that VOSA are on a massive crack down within west sussex. VOSA HAVE contacted/visited mot centres, i know it used to be down to the mot place to use discretion but now things are being tightened. They have said a car has to be near enough the same level of noise as a similar model. So if cars are sold with the exhausts from the dealer then that is ok. Also funny how three jap cars in my area have all failed on this in the last week.......
Trust me, things are changing. Mine only passed as i have a fully silenced after market exhaust so its not loud.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll