corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Changing ECU in c20xe corsa

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changing ECU in c20xe corsa
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
13th Nov 09 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, a mate's given me a chipped one and I'm looking to do a straight swap old for new. Could someone with a bit of experience in this be able to quickly list what needs to be done and all the tools needed? I'm doing it away from the house so don't want to end up forgetting anything.

Also, has anyone had any experience of these? Does it make a decent bit of difference? All I'm told is that it's a chipped ECU, unknown chip. Can't hurt to try it anyway.
Fro

13th Nov 09 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming its by your right foot on the drivers side remove trim, unplug old then plug in new?

And it won't hurt unless it melts something
alan-g-w

13th Nov 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I've got that far, just looking to see what specific tools I'm going to need.
corsa120

13th Nov 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are u kidding just screw driver lol should take less than 5 mins lol
Generation

13th Nov 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got to swap chips over from the key? Or not?
Fro

13th Nov 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Redtops didn't have coded keys iirc. Mine didn't anyway.

if you've got that far you should be done, its just plug out and plug back in
dan-sport

13th Nov 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats been said really, you don't need any tools just take cover off and swop them about.

from my experience with my chipped ecu, they do seem to make it better high end of the revs
john_c20xe

13th Nov 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be careful, do you no what ecu it is is it the same code(fp) ect
i fitted one to mine it raised the rev limiter, ended up blowing a hole in a piston 2 days later
alan-g-w

13th Nov 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john_c20xe
be careful, do you no what ecu it is is it the same code(fp) ect
i fitted one to mine it raised the rev limiter, ended up blowing a hole in a piston 2 days later

aha, a decent answer from someone who knows. Nope, was just going to plug it in and see to be honest, is there any way of checking these codes? Or is it just the ones written on the front of the ECU?
dan-sport

13th Nov 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you were just waiting for somebody to say they had a bad experiance, i know what im on about as i changed my ecu to a chipped one.

aslong as its off a redtop with the same loom type everything will be fine
alan-g-w

14th Nov 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried it today and it wouldn't even start, just turning over. I had my suspicions that it was for an early setup engine, so I think that's proven it.

dan-sport, I wasn't looking for someone to say that at all. Just that every other reply up to yours and john's didn't answer anything I asked.
john_c20xe

14th Nov 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the two letters on the front should be the same as yours or the engine light will come on, theres no real reason why it wont start
alan-g-w

15th Nov 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm. well I took the old ECU out, plugged the other one in, tried to start it and it was just turning over. I replaced it with the old one and it started fine.
Fro

16th Nov 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Tried it today and it wouldn't even start, just turning over. I had my suspicions that it was for an early setup engine, so I think that's proven it.

dan-sport, I wasn't looking for someone to say that at all. Just that every other reply up to yours and john's didn't answer anything I asked.

you asked if you needed any tools to swap it over and you got answer relating to that
alan-g-w

16th Nov 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye a wrong answer. The kick panel's still hanging off just now because to put it back on you need a torx bit. I don't know why people bother answering when they don't know what they're on about.
Generation

16th Nov 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny that, such a simple thing to do, I wouldnt bother messing about with ECU, if you don't know what you need to rmeove interior trim
alan-g-w

16th Nov 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate, tell me about it. I actually don't know how I managed to strip the head off it in January to replace the valve guides, valves and stem oil seals. Then again a couple of months ago I don't know how I managed to replace the power steering pump and associated pipework. And the time I stripped the head off a mk3 astra to replace a burnt valve, how the fuck did I do that. And when I fitted the new sump just last week, it must have been pure luck how I managed. So I don't know why I thought I'd be able to manage taking a fucking piece of interior trim off.

As I said, for those too fucking daft to read it first time, I was doing the job away from the house and I didn't have a clue what tools were needed or how to go about it - I'm not going to pretend I know when I don't. But if the job was being done at the house, where all my tools are kept I wouldn't have needed to ask anything. I would have just got on with it and used tools as needed.

Generation, I'm not wanting to put anyone down for being a bit inexperienced. But you can comment when you manage to take an oil filter off in less than 8 tries. So pipe down for now.
Generation

16th Nov 09 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just shows, some people know stuff otheres don't and nobody knows everything, as i pointed out, over and out
alan-g-w

16th Nov 09 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it doesn't. It just shows what an idiot you are for saying something so fucking stupid.
Generation

16th Nov 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it makes you happy...
davieslim

16th Nov 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alan whats the code on the ecu? we have an early xe in a mk4 astra so could be of use, also i had to remove my kickplate its a star screw and 1 torque screw from the kick plate to get the cover off
alan-g-w

16th Nov 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd need to check davie mate, and it's an ECU a mate's given me. I'd need to see what he's saying to it and how much he wants for it, it's out in the motor but I'll bring it in and give you the codes off it.

New Poll