corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » best way to bring rusty discs back to life?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author best way to bring rusty discs back to life?
rbailey88

User status: Offline
11th Feb 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi people, bought some 2.0 calipers and discs and pads, been told discs done about 1k mile and pads undriven, they are pretty messy and discs are rusty, thought i would ask what best things to use as i dont want to damage them. ill gunk the calipers and spray them i think. any help is great thanks
Gareth F

11th Feb 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just whack them on and they will come up shiney after you use them. Thats all i done.
Gareth F

11th Feb 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O and i used halfords engine degreaser on the calippers, then soap and then dried off to then paint.
rbailey88

11th Feb 10 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers pal
sparkyunlimited

12th Feb 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a dual action sander with 60 grit on it to clean the surface rust off my discs, if its bad the pads will have problems removing the surfacce rust evenly, before you know it you have pads that are no longer flat and touching the entire surface of the disc and the disc has lines around it. Give them a good sand with some course sandpaper to get the majority off... then whack em on and let the pads do the polishing.
rbailey88

12th Feb 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great stuff mate, ill get on that this weekend
fillmecca

12th Feb 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rbailey88

good to meet you 2day mate,was a fucking mad drip dwn there you dnt wnt 2.0 broakes you wona buy my V6 1s!
Limecat
Banned

13th Feb 10 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sparkyunlimited
I used a dual action sander with 60 grit on it to clean the surface rust off my discs, if its bad the pads will have problems removing the surfacce rust evenly, before you know it you have pads that are no longer flat and touching the entire surface of the disc and the disc has lines around it. Give them a good sand with some course sandpaper to get the majority off... then whack em on and let the pads do the polishing.

You are talking about pads having a problem removing grot and things not being flat but then say to attack them with a DA?

Best answer;

If they are bad either replace them or have them skimmed (depends on the remaining disc width if it is worth it or not?)

If it is surface then take it out and stamp on them a few times. Only heavily pitted discs won't clean up off that - ie. 1 year plus.
sparkyunlimited

13th Feb 10 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
quote:
Originally posted by sparkyunlimited

You are talking about pads having a problem removing grot and things not being flat but then say to attack them with a DA?

Best answer;

If they are bad either replace them or have them skimmed (depends on the remaining disc width if it is worth it or not?)

If it is surface then take it out and stamp on them a few times. Only heavily pitted discs won't clean up off that - ie. 1 year plus.

A DA sander with 60 grit will remove loose surface rust.... stamping on them is more likely to crack the disc. 60 grit will not remove any metal. If you want to stamp on discs or hit them with hammers (yes i know you didnt say to hit them with hammers) then you will get a nice shock when the disc comes away from the centre and you only have one front wheel braking while the other makes a nice metallic clanking sound.... and yes that can happen.. i had a disc come away from a centre when a caliper stuck, I was putting new discs and pads on, the pads wouldnt go in because the caliper was stuck on the sliding pins so i used "excessive force" to get the pads in... they lasted less than 2 miles before the disc itself let go from its own hub centre.
rbailey88

13th Feb 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fillmecca
quote:

good to meet you 2day mate,was a fucking mad drip dwn there you dnt wnt 2.0 broakes you wona buy my V6 1s!

yeah bet it was fun carrying a set of coilovers down on train
did buy v6 1s on here but got ripped off they never turned up so bought a set of 2.0 1s for 30 posted so was happy with that, v6 brakes fit under 15s? how much u after for them mate?
lee_dodd

13th Feb 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

v6 brakes fit under 15s
fillmecca

13th Feb 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fillmecca
quote:

yeah bet it was fun carrying a set of coilovers down on train
did buy v6 1s on here but got ripped off they never turned up so bought a set of 2.0 1s for 30 posted so was happy with that, v6 brakes fit under 15s? how much u after for them mate?

yer was abit of fun what day did you say you get payed agen mate? u2u me

New Poll