corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » >>Front fog lights coming on automatically after indicator goes off....can it be explained?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author >>Front fog lights coming on automatically after indicator goes off....can it be explained?
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
   20th Dec 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As title.
I notice this especially in the colder months...when I've got my lights on. If I use the indicator to turn, when the indicator switch is turned off the front fog lights then switch on automatically!
It's actually quite embarrassing as the driver in front thinks I'm trying to flash him in anger!
Any explanation for why it does this?

Thanks.
XE Col
Premium Member

22nd Dec 12 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What car? Newer cars have fog lights that turn on automatically when you turn the corner?
Billy Dean

24th Dec 12 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by XE Col
What car? Newer cars have fog lights that turn on automatically when you turn the corner?

Sorry. My car is a Corsa B 1.4 16v.
X14XE engine.

p.s. How do I get to display my car info permanently in my profile like others have done?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Dec 12 at 00:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you mean full beam not fogs?

If its full beans coming on and off them you need a new indicator stalk.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Billy Dean

28th Dec 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Do you mean full beam not fogs?

If its full beans coming on and off them you need a new indicator stalk.

My apologies if I am using the wrong terms.

By "front fog lights" I mean the lights that come on when you have your main lights on and then you push the light stalk forward, or back for intermittent 'flashing'. These lights are linked to the blue 'fog light' lamp on the dash. Hence I call them fog lights.
Are these also called 'full beam' lights?

Well, these are the lights that come on when the indicator clicks off. Very annoying and embarrassing as other drivers think I'm trying to get their attention, or trying to blind them?

New indicator stalk time, you say?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

28th Dec 12 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't foglights, they are full beam. They are used on dark/country roads for better illumination at a distance when there are no other cars to blind.

Foglights are used when it's foggy, and illuminate the ground a short distance in front of the car.

In a Corsa B, the foglight switch is a small button under the headlight switch. If you've only got the one switch there, then you only have rear foglights, and no fronts at all.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds as though the indicator stalk is faulty. Change this, and the lights should function as intended.
Billy Dean

30th Dec 12 at 03:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick update: I took the indicator stalk off today and gave the springy/switch part a generous spray of WD40.
Before the full beams were coming on automatically 10 times out of 10. Now after spraying they come on about 3 times out of 10. Progress!

It appears that in the colder months moisture gets into the switch and causes this problem. That's what seems to be happening in my view. I guess the WD40 disperses the moisture and brings back some form of control.
I'm gonna see how it holds up. If it gets worse again I think I'll take it apart one more time and give it more WD40 than before.
If then it continues to play up I'll just go and buy a new indicator stalk

Thanks for your help guys!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

30th Dec 12 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get a replacement off eBay etc, it's less than £10 normally and will fix the problem once and for all.

New Poll