corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any ESXi experts? USB issue

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any ESXi experts? USB issue
John

User status: Offline
15th Aug 13 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a very specific problem and haven't found out how to fix it yet.

Got an old dell Poweredge something or other with ESXi 5.1, has a 2003 VM and I'm having an issue with USB pass through.

As far as I can see, an xHCI controller has been automatically, then I've added the standard EHCI+UHCI controller.

In windows, I have a USB controller that I can't find drivers for, which looks to be the xHCI one. As far as I can tell, this isn't supported in 2003.

When I try to pass my USB devices, they must be using the xHCI controller, which means I can never see them in Windows. I need to either be able to remove the xHCI controller, or force the USB to use the EHCI controller. Either way is fine by me.

My searching has drawn a blank so far and hunting about vSphere hasn't found the option.

Edit to say that I'm not actually talking about pass through, that's incorrect terminology. I'm just adding the USB device to the VM, not using the actual pass trhough function that passes a whole controller through to the VM, sorry for the confusion.

[Edited on 15-08-2013 by John]
Richie

15th Aug 13 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you trying to pass through to the VM?
John

16th Aug 13 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A USB sound card and a USB hard drive. They both work fine. This was on another Dell box which failed so moved over to this one.

I don't know what's caused this stupi xHCI card to be there.
John

16th Aug 13 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fixed it.

Couldn't find any way to remove the xHCI controller from that VM.

Created a new VM, which doesn't have it then just added the drives back on. Easy fix in the end but it's a live server with a 2 week old backup so had to be cautious.

New Poll