corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Timing and Top dead centre

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Timing and Top dead centre
dean101287

User status: Offline
4th Jan 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes...Another thread

After rebuilding the top end of my corsa when I was putting the belt on I lined up all the marks and when I checked the Top dead centre it did no line up with the mark thats on the crank and timing cover. It was out by a tooth or maybe a little more. I adjusted to what the actual top dead centre was and then put the belt on and so on.

Now it drives but it quite tappy, and I dont know if it related but on light throttle it bogs down and if Im going slow and put full throttle on it also bogs down and then kicks in.

Could these be related or? Iv driven it for about 60 miles and the tapping hasnt gone
Mark B

5th Jan 10 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing being out could cause that.dont no about the tappin though .should just line all the marks up and it should run better
The management light on?

[Edited on 05-01-2010 by markb1234]
scottyp1989

5th Jan 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tapping could be liffters if you didnt oil them first or a bent valve if the timing is out
dean101287

5th Jan 10 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was definately at top dead centre and the cams lined up. I checked a few times and my mate checked who is a mechanic. It turned over fine by hand and compression tester was all obove 200.
dean101287

5th Jan 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any sugggestions. Would a dodgy coilpack cause the bogging down when accelerating. Its doing it when I put full throttle on now.

I havnt got the money to keep buying new parts. Any suggestions on what to do.

Also when idleing it will idle normal for about 30 seconds then the revs will drop to about 500rpm and then goes between 500 and 650rpm (back and forth), eml comes on and oil pressure light goes on and off as the revs drop and climb (due to the pressure dropping because of low revs I guess)

When I drive it then all light go off.
Craigy|uk

5th Jan 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the timings out. uve timed up wrong. my car slipped a tooth on timing and did exactly the same as wot ur desacribing, put foot down and theres nothing, then power kicks in. Timing matey
dean101287

5th Jan 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh the fucking joys. Will have to get that done on the weekend then. Just going to line it up with the mark on the cover and if its fucking wrong im going to drive it through vauxhalls wall
Cossie

5th Jan 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing marks are not actualy at top dead center
dean101287

5th Jan 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so align with the timing marks not TDC?
Cossie

5th Jan 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do not have any mod to cams yes you work on timing marks
dean101287

5th Jan 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK will put it right ASAP, hope it solves the problem
phil_fcuk

5th Jan 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont forget when you let go of the cams they tend to jump, make sure you put the belt on tight all around the tensioners etc before you put around the bottom pulley! hope this helps
Linch

6th Jan 10 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a x14 c16 or x16 by the way. line the top to cam marks up with each other, line the crank up slightly to the right of the mark, put the belt on then when you tension it up working from left cam to right cam to crank to tensioner with the belt then tighten the tensioner it pulls the crank round onto the timing mark.

I am assuming you lined all the marks up, put the belt on then tightened the tensioner, this will be out by about a tooth at the crank.
dean101287

6th Jan 10 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lined up the crank, put the belt on then followed what mr haynes manual said. But it wouldnt start so my mate check Top dead centre and adjusted it so I know its out now. No problem really, I love working in the snow, honest
dean101287

6th Jan 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And it does say in the haynes to do it when the car is cold

New Poll