corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » insurence - do the registered keeper and main driver have to be the same person?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author insurence - do the registered keeper and main driver have to be the same person?
Jase1.4

User status: Offline
22nd Apr 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as title says, do the registered keeper of a car and the main driver on the insurence policy have to be the same person?

reason im asking, im on my moms policy while at uni but want to take it with me in the summer, so would wana make myself the main driver on my own policy, but would i have to add another owner to the logbook as its my moms car at the moment
cheers for any help.
adz_gsi

22nd Apr 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no but if you get a qoute just type info in as your mum as owner and you main driver see if it gives you good qoutes

[Edited on 22-04-2009 by adz_gsi]
Jase1.4

22nd Apr 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its about the same to go on my own policy as im paying for this years as a named driver. so if i can get away with leaving it in my moms name so i dont add an unneccessary owner itll be sound
DaveyLC

22nd Apr 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Say you insure your self on someone elses car so the main driver is you and the registered keeper is not you, that is not a problem...

BUT If the car is in your name and you are a named driver the insurance companies will start getting a bit iffy with you.
John

22nd Apr 09 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is normally an option while getting the quote to say if you are the owner or not.
swill_omnibus

22nd Apr 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aslong as the registered owner is on the policy weather it's main or named driver it's fine.
Jase1.4

22nd Apr 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, at the minute its my mom the registered owner and im a named driver, i want to start my own policy same car same company (i have the direct line named driver no claims)

havnt seen one an option about the keeper yet but only gone to where im given the quote. gona go do another one now.
swill_omnibus

22nd Apr 09 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you stay with direct line for those no claims your fine.
steven_r2008

22nd Apr 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no mate it doesn't matter at all, i have done the very same thing, was insured on my mums policy for my 1.4 sport, therefore when i bought it we put it in my mums name. then i went onto my own insurance (without my mum on the policy at all) and left it in my mums name for the very reason of not adding another driver onto the log book, and there hasn't been any problems with mine at all
Jase1.4

22nd Apr 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just gone further in the quote and found this in the terms

The vehicle is owned and registered by you, at your address and has not been modified or altered in anyway (including wheels, suspension, bodywork and engine) and you or your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner) will be the main driver.

is spouse a child? excuse the dumbness lol
dont think i can do it cos im at a different address with my drivers licence and things! nevermind looks like ill have to put another keeper on it

[Edited on 22-04-2009 by Jase1.4]
steven_r2008

22nd Apr 09 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, all insurance companies have those policies daft because they give you the option to add modifications onto the policy

however if your at a different address it may be slightly different mate.

but a spouse is kind of a partner i think, there should be an option for 'son/daughter'

hope that helped
Fonz
Premium Member

23rd Apr 09 at 08:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad owns the Nova but we have a "gentleman's agreement" is it "my" car. i insure it in my name, he is a named driver didnt have any problems with that
Jase1.4

23rd Apr 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is the car registered and insured at different addresses then?

think im might just carry it on as it is then cancel the policy and start my own one when i get new car before uni next year, will loose out on a few months no claims but saves the messing about

New Poll